A Recipe lists the components needed to make equipment via the crafting process. Many recipes must be obtained as arsenal items and learned before the desired item can be crafted. Acquiring and learning a recipe is not necessary for items made via specialized alchemy stations, because these stations have the recipes built-in.
There are several ways to acquire recipes which must be learned by the player. Depending on where they come from, they may or may not be bound. Some recipes can be acquired by:
- Purchasing from Basil (in many Rank Mission lobbies and arcade clockwork terminals) - unbound
- Purchasing from the Auction House (posted by players) - unbound
- Purchasing from Vatel in the Bazaar - unbound
- Purchasing from a Hall of Heroes vendor or Sullivan - bound
- Earning them as a Rank Mission reward - bound
Some vendors will have variable, limited stock day to day or even minute to minute and player to player. As a rule of thumb, vendors who sell bound recipes will generally have the same (infinite) stock, usually depending on the rank of the player's knight.
The cost of a recipe item depends on the star level of the item the recipe helps to create. Recipe items (of X star level) cost the same no matter which NPC vendor they are purchased from.
After a recipe is acquired, it can be found in the player's arsenal under the "Recipes" section. Once a recipe is learned, it cannot be unlearned. The associated item can be crafted as many times as desired. Recipes the player has already learned will be moved from the player's arsenal to a known recipe list (default to view is "F5"). The player's knight will not need to learn a recipe more than once.
Recipe items can be resold to vendors, but this isn't frugal. Vendors buy recipes at a very low crown price. The player may want to remove clutter from inventory, if they accidentally buy a recipe that they have already learned.
Mousehovering over a listed recipe will show the required ingredients as well as the details of the item it will create.
The color of a recipe icon reveals the type of item it pertains to:
- Grand Solstice Ring - requires two 4* items, instead of just one
- Fiendish ID Card - this is a material. It is highly unusual for a material to have a recipe.
- release 2013-08-21: Recipes for certain Fire Crystals were added to the game as rewards for certain rank missions. Any knight that had already completed the required missions received these recipes in the mail.
- release 2013-10-23: An animation now plays when the player learns a recipe. It features rotating gears, a brief sound effect, and a recipe icon.