Energy is a special power source that is constantly emanating from the core of the world. This energy can be used for a variety of things: to power elevators in the Clockworks, in crafting, to buy upgrades for your knight, and to activate devices found in the world.
Forms of Energy
Due to the intense power source at Cradle's core, the entire planet's atmosphere is imbued with loose, airborne mist energy. Each knight's armor has a reserve tank which will automatically distill mist energy from the air, but can only store 100 units at any one time. If you run out of mist energy, you can either take a break from exploration and allow your tank to slowly refill themselves, or you can obtain some more stable crystal energy. A unit of mist energy recharges in approximately 13.2 minutes; it takes 22 hours to recover a full 100 mist energy.
When first starting the game, your knight may be rewarded with a Mist Tank for completing certain tasks. After accepting the Mist Tank, it may be "activated" from your arsenal. Mist Tanks will not allow a knight to have more than 100 mist energy.
Crystal energy is a form of energy that can be stored permanently, and in greater quantities than the 100 units of mist energy a knight's armor can hold. Crystal energy is purchased with U.S. dollars from Three Rings, or with crowns from other Spiral Knights players via the Energy Depot. To purchase crystal energy, simply click on your energy meter, or visit a Stranger who sells energy. Crystal energy can be traded between players.
Uses of Energy
There are a number of ways throughout Haven and the Clockworks that a knight can spend energy. Mist energy is used first if it is available.
- Elevators: Each player must spend 10 energy to use an elevator to travel to the next floor of the Clockworks. This cost will be paid when the party steps onto an elevator and chooses the option to go down. Elevators that take the party back to Haven do not require energy.
- Energy Objects: A variety of machines can be encountered in the Clockworks, each one offering a different service or benefit. The required energy to utilize each machine varies and will be displayed at the object. These objects include gun turrets, mecha knights, and other useful emplacements.
- Crafting New Items: Energy is used to fuse crafting materials together into a new piece of equipment using an alchemy machine. The required energy varies according to the star level of the item that the player is creating.
- Starting a Guild: 500 energy must be expended to start a guild.
Shortly after the Spiral Knights landed upon Cradle, scouting teams reported an intense energy signal coming from the planet's core, and now the knights have been tasked with investigating it in the hopes that this energy can be used to power their ship.
The Clockworks and nearly every machine the knights encounter run on energy, including the Spiral Knights' own power armor. All knight armor is equipped with a tank that pulls airborne energy—known as mist energy—into their armor, allowing them to function and power up machinery they encounter. However, mist energy dissipates almost as quickly as it is acquired, and thus it can never be permanently stored.
A form of energy, known as crystal energy, is also available to circumvent the downfalls of mist energy. Unlike mist energy, it can be stored safely in large amounts in a knight's reserve tank because it does not decay. The Strangers that run Haven mine areas of the Clockworks for the crystallized form. Like everything in their possession, it is available for sale.
- View your Crystal Energy History (requires you to be logged into your account).