Kats are a type of monster found in the Clockworks.
General cuteness until spotting a living creature. Things turn ugly afterward.
All Kats are immune to Curse.
Kats become progressively more terrifying as knights delve deeper into the Clockworks. Starting at Tier 2, they can spit projectiles. In Tier 3, their scream upon defeat is much deeper to match their scarier appearance.
| All Tiers|
(Bite cannot be blocked, and ignores the shield entirely.)
- Candlestick Keep: Fear The Dark, Noxious Night, Burning Blackout, Galvanized Gloom and Cold Shadows
A huge Spookat. It cannot be blocked or killed, so run while you can!
Grimalkins appear within 3 seconds after a knight enters a dark area. It cannot dash toward you like other kats. Instead, they trail behind the nearest knight and will bite any knight who gets too close! Grimalkins can move though walls and areas outside the navigable map (similar to a phantom,) but they will not enter an area lit by a candle. A maximum of 4 Grimalkins can appear at any given time. The larger your party size, the more Grimalkins spawn! Beware!
There are a few ways you can manage these monsters:
- Shock will also make Kats substantially less dangerous, as it tends to interrupt their lunges, deals elemental damage (which Kats, being undead, are vulnerable to), and is easily passed from Kat to Kat due to their habit of grouping together.
- Wait for an opening after they charge forward, turn and attack.
- Relentlessly strike them into a wall or corner and take them out quickly.
- Run towards the Kat if it quickly flies in your direction. This is a signal that Kats will bite you.
- Back away about 6-8 tiles and leave a bomb for when they charge.
The "cooldown" between attacks gets shorter and shorter the deeper you go, so short-ranged strategies become slightly less effective, while traps (such as leaving a bomb for them to fly through) become slightly better since they move around more.
Black Kats can be very dangerous if not taken care of quickly. They can sustain roughly twice the damage of their smaller brethren, and rapidly summon Carnavons, which both protect the Black Kat from attacks and can be dangerous with their curse attacks. However, it is very difficult for sword attacks to roll off them due to their size and knockback resistance; a Warmaster Rocket Hammer can kill them quickly.
When dealing with Grimalkins, while you can't kill them, you can get rid of them. As you should notice, they disappear after having bitten a knight. What you may not know is that they do not have to bite the knight to disappear. If you run from one side of it to the other, passing in front of it, it will try to bite you and miss, disappearing even though it doesn't hit anything. NOTE: If you run toward a Grimalkin from the front and then run away again, you will get hurt. Another strategy is if you are in a party and someone happens to be K.O.ed, run them into the K.O.ed player.
- A Grimalkin spawns after a player is not within the radius of a candle for 3 seconds.
- For every 3 seconds after, another spawns, up to a maximum of the number of party members.
- If a knight dashes or shield bashes through a Grimalkin, they will remain unharmed and the Grimalkin will go away.
- A Grimalkin will disappear if it has not encountered a player or a candle within a certain amount of time.
- If a Grimalkin disappears when a player is not within a candle's radius, another Grimalkin will spawn immediately.
- Grimalkins can still damage knights within a candle! Be very careful even when you think you are safe.
- Even though the Grimalkin's bite cannot be blocked, the Grimalkin can be shield bumped and knocked back by any gun of the Pulsar line's expanded shots.
- One more Grimalkin can appear for each allied NPC following the party (Mecha Knight Kit, NPC Knights, Recon Rangers).
- Because Black Kats have a small chance of appearing in place of any other Kat, they can appear in unexpected places such as Legion of Almire or Shadow Lair: Gloaming Wildwoods
- Black Kats are known to spawn over mewkats, which causes a bug to make the mewkat drop Ancient pages, or the Black Kat to drop normal loot.